Sunday, January 13, 2008

Jan 14 ~ Jan 20 - PHOTOSHOP (Example: Before and After, Techniques)

Monday, January 14th Panorama

Another thing I have wanted to try for a while now is panoramas. This is one of my first tries. This is a shot of downtown Salt Lake City from high up in the avenues. Again photoshop makes this easy to do, it stitches things together nicely for you. The main things to keep in mind, is to figure out your exposure and lock that in for all the shots, different exposures can make things look off. Also overlap your images by about 25% so photoshop can stitch them together easily. Also it tends to shrink the outside images, so it is best if you take a shot with more in it than you expect to keep so you can crop it later. Also, shoot things in portrait position so you can get more of the scene from top to bottom. HHCC always welcome and wanted.






f/11 @ 1/125 ISO 200

Sunday, January 13th HDR

Okay, for my first photoshop technique I will start with something I have been wanting to try for a long time. I actually posted an example in my last post, here is my second attempt at it. I think this was a great opportunity for HDR (High Dynamic Range) because of the difficulty exposing a shot properly when near a lot of snow. Using this technique I can expose for the highlights and for the shadows and then have photoshop try to get the correct exposure at each spot in the picture. None of these shots have been adjusted other than the final merged product.


This is the darkest exposure used to bring out the details in the highlights.




f/8 @ 1/320 ISO 200







This was what my camera wanted to use for the exposure. I took shots at 1/3 stop increments down to the picture above, and up to the picture beneath.





f/8 @ 1/80 ISO 200






This is the brightest shot used to bring out the details in the shadows.





f/8 @ 1/20 ISO 200






And finally after merging all 13 shots together we get this HDR version of the scene.











This technique is a lot of fun, and I still have a lot to learn. Check out this thread I started at 2 Peas talking about how I did it, and hopefully more experienced people will way in and discuss things I missed. I definitely think that the finished product is better than any of the individual shots that make it up. HHCC welcome and wanted.

31 comments:

Danielle said...

I read about this technic earlier today on a different post. Looks pretty complicated but it looks like you have it down. Great job.

Melissa said...

I think you've done a great job with this. I love the final product.

Tori said...

very cool. i've been wanting to try this myself, but am too lazy to do it in camera.... i'm thinking of getting the different exposures in raw and going from there.

Sharon said...

Wow! You made it look great!

Kristi said...

Very very cool! Will photoshop merge them for you once you have all the images you need?

Michelle said...

very well done! the final picture is definitely worth all the work it took. looks like you've got the HDR down pat.

Toni said...

You do just amazing work. I love it! Toni

amazing grace said...

wow! this looks like a lot of work...but very cool to get the highlights and shadows properly exposed...thanks for posting examples...

pat said...

Travis--nice work. You explained it well.

cherie said...

I have heard about this technique. but I am not so good with photoshop. like what you have done here.

C said...

this is great. i'll have to try this out, one day.

Becky said...

Thanks for showing us all the differences. The final shot has a nice moody feel.

Mom2Drew said...

I think is a great example on how this works...looking forward to more examples. Can you write out the steps for us, or is that simple? Thanks for the tips.

Margaret said...

Thanks for sharing this, Travis. I definitely think the technique worked. I need to get out there and try this!
Love the shot, too. Great composition.

mel said...

it looks wonderful! sounds like a lot of work, but your photo makes it look worth it!

mel said...

it looks wonderful! sounds like a lot of work, but your photo makes it look worth it!

Farrah Jobling said...

wow...Impressive!

Tera Fraley said...

Wow, love that you can get all these techniques from this one picture!!

Ginnie said...

I've also heard about this technique, I haven't tried it yet. The final result looks really nice!

Liz said...

This is a very cool technique, the last picture looks really good exposure and light wise.

Sara said...

This is a fascinating technique. i look foward to seeing more examples. Too bad I didn't read this earlier with the snow and white sky we had this am!

Val said...

This is a neat technique. For some reason it makes me think of sports fields at night when they are all lit up by the strong flood lights. you know it's not supposed to be that easy to see, but it looks so cool to be as bright as day when it's dark out.

Teri said...

Nice job on making it into a panorama, I did this a few years ago at a lake and printed it and framed it.

Lauren Hartman said...

Good job making the panorama. I would have loved to see more of the foreground in the image however, it feels a little cut off at the bottom. What a beautiful place to live, you are very luck!

Kristen said...

I love the finished product, well worth the effort! I live in SLC as well, I love the panorama!!

Anonymous said...

Copying my earlier comment here that I inadvertently put under the incorrect week... sorry about that.

Tomboymama said...
Commenting on the panorama. Very pretty. How many photos are merged here? Looking at it, I think I would have liked to see the base of the tall buildings as well. I would like to learn how to do this. Thanks for the tips.

January 14, 2008 7:39 PM

Tori said...

Very cool! I'd like to see more of the foreground as well, but I honestly can't tell that this was more than one image stitched together!

Yvette A said...

Nice work, I have lots to learn in ps and I am so looking forward to it.

Becky said...

Thanks for sharing your panorama tips. Very helpful. Looks good!

Danielle said...

really cool idea. I would like to try this. My only suggestion would be less of the valley view and more of the city. It looks incomplete like the bottom half of the photo is missing. However you did a great job executing the technique

Anonymous said...

Wow!! That is really really neat! Can't wait to try this! And thanks again for answering my question over at 2peas! I'm going to bookmark your blog! Mahalo!